Various small tasks3h
September 25, 2022
Today I did a few smaller tasks.
First, I drilled the holes for the two additional stiffeners in the tailcone area ( Service Letter 00014).
Interestingly, my paper plans were an older version without these stiffeners. However, my kit did include the parts needed to comply with the service letter.
Then I worked a bit on the cover plates and the corresponding locations for the nut plates.
I drilled and dimpled the cover plates.
Then drilled, dimpled, and countersunk the skins (the countersinks are for the NAS1097 "oops" rivets).
Finally, I worked a bit on the elevator pushrod (just because). I used the rivet fan and the painter's tape to place the holes. I put the centers of the 1st and the 9th holes against the edges of the tape (which gave me 8 holes total), then moved the rivet fan a bit and marked the holes on the tape. Then I measured .250" from the edge of the tape.
Put the tape on the tube.
Finally, drilled the holes with the #41 drill bit first, then the #31 drill bit, then the #30 reamer (for a MSP-42 pull rivet).